Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Dia Dhuit from Ireland!




Di Dhuit! Yesterday, my mom and I finally arrived in Ireland! I can't believe how beautiful and green this place truly is in person. There was a slight drizzle when we got outside but it didn't even bother me. In fact, it made the place that much more enchanting. We rented a car which was quite the experience since the driver sits in the seat to the right and drives on the left side of the road. The driving situation took awhile to get used too and at times our driving was below the speed limit since the roads are VERY narrow and there are bramble bushes that brush up against the car. However, there was very little honking or aggression from other people on the road which was a nice change. As far as traveling from the airport, we took our rental car from Dublin over the Sally gap and through the Wicklow mountains to the Wicklow Mountains National Park and Glenndalough and Laragh. We stopped at the Country Tea House in Glendalough which was quaint and filled with smiling faces and warm greetings. The tea is fresh but the food is not my favorite. After leaving the Tea House we stopped at Glenddalough to wander among the 5th century Monastery founded by Saint Kevin. The site was very beautiful and we took a trail along a lake which really inspired me to stay open-minded while I am on this journey. There is so much to see and so much to experience. We ended up getting a bit lost coming back from the monastery to our Bed and Breakfast in Kilkenny but the drive was so stunning, it was worth it. What is truly fascinating is that the trees arch over the roads so you feel like you are driving through a tunnel of trees and nature. I really love Ireland and the beauty and wonder of everything it contains. The Irish are extremely friendly and willing to help out if you are lost or have a question. People in Ireland seem to really take their time and enjoy life, whether eating a meal or walking around admiring the scenery. I really feel at peace and calm here. Today, My mom and I are headed into Kilkenny to see the Kilkenny Castle and then into Kinsale. Till then, Slan!

No comments:

Post a Comment