Thursday, August 26, 2010

Kenmore, Killarny...Dingle!






Right now I am sitting outside Pax Bed and Breakfast on a lovely authentic table with Mama Rosen at Dingle Harbor, where the supposed famous dolphin, Fungie, resides. Fungie has been there for over 20 years! The owners of the house left binoculars on the windowsill just in case we wanted to try and scope out the dolphin in the water. This has to be by far one of my favorite destinations we have come across on this journey throughout Ireland. To recap the day up until now, we left the lovely town of Kenmare on the N71 towards Killarney. On our way through the mountain pass along the Ring of Kerry, we stopped at an Avoca Weaver's Store in Molly’’s Gap and browsed at all the beautiful wollen goods. It is hard to believe the sheep on the side of the road are the providers of the most famous sweaters, scarves, and hats in Ireland. We ventured on to the N72 from the store into Killarney National Park with majestic lakes and streams. The view was a site to behold! I was so taken aback, I had to videotape the picturesque scene. Everywhere you go in Ireland, there is something to take away from what you see. Most of the people I have come across in Ireland, let life take its course and really enjoy and take their time in whatever they are doing. I never feel rushed or uneasy here which is very different the the hussle and bustle of the the city. Before heading to the Muckros (Muckross) House and Gardens in Killarny, Mama Rosen and I turned off a path that lead to one of the lakes. My pictures on the rocks will show where we were but does not give full majesty of this place. I want to call it my spot because it really felt like that and hopefully throughout these next few months, I can return. After leaving the "spot" we went on a guided tour throughout the Muckors House which was magnificent with waterford chandelliers, eclectic furnishings venetian glass and the actual bed that Queen Victoria slept in when she visited. Some of the furniture we saw dates back to the 17th Century! I am proud to say I now know about chamber pots, bed warmers, ice cream makers and cutlery sharpeners. It was interesting how a household was maintained without any electricity and 22 servants with approximately 25 bedrooms. After the close of the tour, we meandered along some of the paths of Killarney park and came across the church that was the inspiration for Bram Stoker's, "Dracula." The church was stunning and the detail in the craftsmanship was impeccable. We then started on our journey to Dingle Peninsula. Dingle is one of a kind and one of the most beautiful and amazing towns that I have been seen. They speak Gaelic and everything is so authentic. Inch Beach was outstanding-- the warm ocean water was at low tide and the sand was soft beneath my feet. It felt like home. The beach was wonderful and so is the town of Dingle. There are a bunch of various stores that sell everything from crystal to old irish books. The restaurant we ate at was called, "Fentons" which was very good! Everything is just so wonderful here it is hard to put it any other way. The sheep and cows are scattered throughout the grasslands and are so nice to watch. To end this post, I would like to say that I miss everyone in the States and I really hope everybody is having a great rest of the summer or a wonderful start to the new school year. I really look forward to hearing about everyone else's adventures as well! Goodbye until tomorrow!

Síorghrá(eternal love?),

Nicole

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're showing mama a good time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Nicole, it looks incredible! We're missing you here in the states but honestly these pictures are stunning and you must be enjoying FINALLY relaxing after such a hectic finals week. It must be so nice to just breathe and take in that scenery. Keep posting :)
    <3 Rachel

    ReplyDelete