Friday, September 24, 2010

HAPPY ARTHUR'S DAY!






Happy Belated Arthur’s Day! This week was truly unforgettable and I can’t wait for the weekend! For those of you not as familiar, Arthur’s Day was yesterday. Arthur’s Day is a celebration of the anniversary of Arthur Guinness. This year marks the 251st anniversary of the beloved beer, Guinness. Festivities started very early at the Skeff Bar and ended well into the night at Massimo’s. At 17:59 (5:59), people raised their glasses whilst singing and enjoying the atmosphere. Walking through shop street , the path was packed and it was hard to even squeeze through the crowds once in the pubs. It was the best day and I can honestly say it was one of the most monumental experiences thus far. Ireland is just so fantastic and the way they view life and how they treat one another is something in itself. Today, Kim and I went kayaking. I joined earlier in the week (Kayake Club) and couldn’t wait to get on the river and learn how to Kayake. Well, it was awesome or “sound” J . They provided all the gear- wetsuit/kayakes and all. Being out on the river Corrib, playing games and learning the proper techniques and form proved to be challenging yet so much fun! The last activity we did was learning how to dismember yourself if your kayake falls over. One of the instructors came over to me and tried to reassure me that I wouldn’t drown or get stuck. The procedure was as follows: Once under the water, you tap your boat three times, release this latch on the front and then maneuver your way out. Even though this seemed easy enough, when it came down to it things were different. Not to mention, I almost lost a contact lens in the process! Anyways, tomorrow I am going to another session and then experience the Galway Oyster Festival—very famous around here. I hope everyone has a safe and healthy weekend!

Love,

Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment