Friday, September 10, 2010

The luck of the Irish!






Greetings! What's the crack? I am in the library now due in part to the lack of internet capabilities in Corrib Village. My apologies for not updating here as much as I would like too. Days in Ireland seem to go by so quickly and I am still in the midst of figuring out classes and meeting people and so forth. Yesterday was truly the first time I felt homesick because it was Rosh Hashanah and I was unable to celebrate the New Year with my family. However, my Rosh Hashana dinner in Ireland was lovely. I really love everyone I have met here already and my knowledge of Ireland has far surpassed what I expected this soon. It is nice to be able to go to a pub at night to listen to traditional music with an array of people or go running down a path that leads to some sort of ruin or the river. A few days ago, was my first day sitting in on a film studies course. I am really happy I did so, because I met a wonderful group of Irish students. We went out after class and they really embraced me and made me feel welcome. The next day we all hung out, went to a pub, then the clubs. Most of the Americans I have come across, have yet to befriend any Irish students. The nightlife is nothing like I ever seen. Interestingly, the students in Ireland go out everyday during the week and go home on the weekends which is very different than students in the states. There is so much energy and excitement in the air at night. People stop you in the pub and clank their glass to yours mouthing, "Cheers" and others invite you to dance the night away.

Adjusting to the lifestyle of the Irish has been a bit difficult but a great challenge. I have mentioned before how they are really laid back and this proves to be true every single day. Finding your way around campus is always a task and no one seems to know where they are going either when you ask for directions! However, it has been the best journey so far. This weekend, my friend Kim and I might go to Sligo, which is more north of Ireland. My one roommate just moved in and supposedly all the "freshers" move in by Sunday which is going to be crazy! A quick recap of two instances that happened last night. I returned home with Lexa close to 1:00 am and saw the light on in my common room. Dumfounded, I knew I didn't leave the light on. I walked into my apartment to find the light on in the hallway, the common room light on and the TV blasting. Looking around, there was no one in site. I ran out as fast as I could to Lexa's room. There, I met Sean and he told me that he and Lexa would head over and scope things out with me. Long story short, I discovered I had a new roommate, who I still haven't met and there is not a crazy person running around in my apartment. But I admit, it was REALLY scary! After Lexa and Sean left, I went into my room and brushed up for bed. I started dozing off, by this time it was 2:30 am. All of a sudden, I heard a sharp KNOCKING somewhere. My body shot up like there was a fire going off in my bedroom! I opened the door to find no one. The knocking persisted. The knocking seemed to become more clear and concise as the moments passed. That’s when I heard a voice. I went over to my window to find a boy smashed up against the window, begging me to help him. It turns out it was some first year boy named Sean who managed to jump the fence and ended up at my window. The thing is, at Corrib Village, they lock the back gates at 12:00 am and you have to had known this to understand that you can go around the front to get in. The boy figured hopping the fence was his only option. Anyways, pulling up the blinds, I realized this boy must have been a first year without any idea of where to go or what time of night. Still startled and scared to bits and pieces, I talked to him through my window as he pleaded with me to let him in. I didn’t give in right away because I was alone and skeptical about the situation. However, he pulled out his Corrib Village ID and told me that he didn’t know how to enter the front gates and his room number was 72. Seeing as it was 2:45 a.m at this time, I lifted the window and let the desperate boy enter my room. My, was he ever so grateful! He followed me out the door and apologized over and over again. We shook hands, introduced ourselves and he went on his merry way, in the pouring rain.

Well now, this was one of my most interesting encounters. Nevertheless, I am really excited and optimistic about the semester. Happy New Year and I hope the weather is beautiful in the States because it is sure rainy here! I better get used to it haha. I will try my best to update more frequently. Till then, Slain.

Love Always,
Nicole Rosen

1 comment:

  1. Nicole this post just cracked me up!! You must be having a blast, it all seems so cultural and almost surreal hearing about your adventures. I love the change to this new wavy hair look ;) its stunning. Can't wait to hear more stories and I hope you had a wonderful Rosh Hashanah and I miss you tons!!
    <3 Rachel

    ReplyDelete